Humans are emotional beings – there’s no doubt about it. Emotions play a huge role in everything we do, and this includes decision making – even when we want to purchase a product or service. When it comes to videos too, it’s some emotion that is evoked in us that makes it memorable and triggers our decisions. As an entrepreneur, you need to leverage this to make effective business videos, widen your reach and boost engagement. Of course, you need to use attractive visuals, text and music – but all this should trigger a specific emotion in the viewer.
Let’s take a look at the 7 emotions triggered by videos that make the videos effective:
- Happiness: The most obvious one. People love watching stuff that makes their day, helps them rid tension – in short, people generally want to be happy. Videos that evoke positive feelings like joy, affection and laughter always work. A great example of this is Android’s Friends Furever
- Pride: Gone are the days when only the most beautiful/handsome models or the most successful celebrities were used to sell products. Today’s smart marketer focuses on the eventual customer and urges them to have pride and to bring out the best in themselves. This Nike ad does a great job by telling viewers “Life isn’t about finding your limits. It’s about realizing you have none”.
- Fear: Believe me, this works really well. Nothing like scaring people into thinking about what they will miss out on! Most insurance companies’ ads usually are more of warnings of the rude surprises they can be in for if they don’t insure; so also anti-smoking and wear seatbelt ads. This WWF ad about effects of human activities on climate change does an excellent job of evoking fear.
- Surprise: This is another emotional trigger very popular with online ads now. It doesn’t have to be a huge twist, or have a big shock value. It can be something like a big price cut, for example; mention something that you’re delivering to your customers that will make them happy. Love has no Labels is a beautiful example.
- Sadness: Surprised? Don’t be; videos that can make people cry –well these are very hard to forget. Sentimental ads are used very well by savvy marketers to persuade viewers to take the action they want. Take a look: Giving is the best communication .
- Uncertainty: This emotion is triggered by marketers who want their audience to stop what they are doing, think, AND make a change in their routine or behavior. Adobe’s ad ‘’Do You Know What Your Marketing Is Doing?’’ does a good job of making you question what you think you know!
- Trust: If you can evoke this emotion through your video, you can be sure of its success. Trust is one of the strongest marketing trends now, and every marketer wants to cash in on it – why shouldn’t you? Getting people to trust you is not easy, but with a good video, you can do it. Like this ad from Chase Manhattan Bank.
Rohan Kale is an experienced, innovative and creative video professional who can help you to produce videos to evoke whatever emotion you want to, in your audience. Don’t believe me? Why don’t you drop in for a free consultation?
Now that you have all the emotional triggers, time to get started on your video animation. You can register here to enjoy your free license. Remember start by choosing one primary emotion to trigger and create your animation around it!